LIGHT AFTER DARKNESS - THE INSTITUTE OF THE PRUSSIAN DEACONESSES
THE INSTITUTE OF THE PRUSSIAN DEACONESSES OF KAISERWERTH IN BEIRUT
The Orphan Home, boarding-school and Johanniter Hospital, with which the Prussian deaconesses are connected, were established in 186o. The two former are supported by the Kaiserswerth institution in Germany, and the latter by the Knights of St. John of Berlin. These consecrated sisters have trained hundreds of orphan girls and educated the daughters of the foreign residents for more than forty-five years. They have regularly 130 orphan girls, and about one hundred European paying boarders and day pupils.
These schools were a direct outcome of the massacres of 1860, and the teachers and nurses were among the first to come to the relief of the sufferers, and for months kept open a soup kitchen for the hungry in aid of which our Relief Committee supplied $3,000.
- Hits: 11300