LIGHT AFTER DARKNESS - CHURCH OF SCOTLAND SCHOOLS
CHURCH OF SCOTLAND SCHOOLS FOR JEWISH BOYS AND GIRLS IN BEIRUT
These schools were established in 1865 under the care of Rev. James Robertson then pastor of the Anglo-American Congregation in Beirut. They arc now under the care of Rev. George M. Mackie, D. D., with an efficient corps of teachers, and a boarding school for Jewesses has been opened under the direction of Miss Milne. One of the teachers of the boys' school is a converted Jew of the family of Harari of Damascus, who has been a faithful teacher for more than thirty years. Mr. and Mrs. Gordon have now undertaken the teaching in the boys' day-schools. These schools have done much to break down the contemptuous pride and the superstitious practices of the Syrian Jews, and the results of forty years of patient labour are apparent in the friendly attitude of the younger generation.
Dr. Mackie, as acting pastor of the Anglo-American Congregation in Beirut, has endeared himself to the whole community.
- Hits: 11299